Homeopathy treatment for Colic
Colic is a condition found in babies from just after birth until three or four months of age, with crying, irritability, and what seems to be pain or ' cramps in the abdomen. They usually seem quite hungry, eat and gain weight normally, and particularly like to suck. The actual cause and process by which colic happens are unknown.
Colicky babies cry and appear to be in pain or distress. Gas may be part of the problem. They may cry incessantly, or only at certain times. The crying can be very distressing to parents, who feel helpless to do anything about it.
Simple colic is not life-threatening, nor does it lead to any serious illness. It usually passes on its own in a matter of weeks. If the baby doesn't gain weight, vomits excessively, or has persistent diarrhea, medical attention should be sought to determine the cause of the problem.
What position is the baby lying in?
Is the baby doubled over or curled up?
What does the stool look like?
Does the baby like to be rocked, carried, or cuddled?
What color is the baby's face?
Is there diarrhea or vomiting?
"She can't keep any milk down at all. The only time she's happy is when she lies next to our dog." Aethusa
"My baby seems so happy except when he's colicky, and he always sweats on his head." Calcarea carbonica
"I can't do anything to please him. 1 give him what he asks for and he throws it on the floor." Chamomilla
"She has lots of bloating and gets gas from anything that I eat before I nurse her. The only thing that helps is warm water." Lycopodium
"She is better if I rub her tummy and put her on a warmed-up blanket." Magnesia phosphorica
"My baby is so irritable. He wakes at 3:00 A.M. with the colic, but can't seem to burp." Nux vomica
"My baby just clings and wants to be cuddled. Her moods change every five minutes." Pulsatilla
When did the colic start?
What time of day or night does the colic come on?
Did the baby eat anything unusual?
What makes the colic better or worse?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
· If the baby can't seem to tolerate milk, first think of Aethusa, then Magnesia phosphorica, Calcarea carbonica, or Lycopodium.
· If there is a tendency toward frequent belching, and the baby seems to feel better after belching, Carbo vegetabilis is likely to be needed.
· For colic in extremely fussy, irri- table babies, especially if they arch their backs and are inconsolable, consider Chamomilla.
· If a baby doubles over with the colic or brings his knees up to his chest, think of Colocynthis first then Magnesia phosphorica.
· For colic with excessive bloating and gas, particularly if the baby seems to be worse after ingesting milk, look at Magnesia phosphorica.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200e, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines can resolve colic and stop the crying within a few minutes to an hour. Repeated doses may be needed if the symptoms return. Constitutional treatment by a qualified homeopath is recommended if the colic persists more than a few weeks or is not responding to acute treatment.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Make sure the baby has been burped after eating.
· Rocking, carrying, or holding the baby may soothe him.
· Dill water: add one-half teaspoon dill to two cups boiling water, steep, and cool. Give up to three times a day. A British preparation called "Gripe water" is available in many East Indian grocery stores.
· Pacifiers may help with the urge to suck.
· Swaddling the baby fairly tightly and placing her on her stomach may help.
· A hot water bottle (not too hot) placed on the baby's abdomen may relieve discomfort.