Homeopathy treatment for Flu (Influenza)
Flu, or influenza is an acute illness caused by the body's response to viral infection by influenza viruses, types A, B, or C. It often comes in the form of epidemics in the winter.
People with the flu complain of headache, fever and chills, aching muscles and joints, fatigue, sore throat, and cough. There is less nasal secretion and more fatigue than with the common cold. Flu sufferers often feel "wiped out," and just want to stay in bed. Some influenza has a gastrointestinal component with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Conventional medicine has no effective treatment for the flu. Babies and the elderly sometimes succumb to the flu if it is very severe or complicated by secondary bacterial infections, particularly pneumonia.
Is there fever present? Take the temperature.
What color is the person's face?
Does the person want the room dark or quiet?
Is the person shivering with chills?
What body position is preferred?
"My flu just started out of the blue." Ferrum phosphoricum, Oscillococcinum
"It hurts whenever I move." Bryonia
"I want to go home." Bryonia
"I feel like my bones are broken." Eupatorium
"My bones and muscles ache." Eupatorium,' Gelsemium
"I feel like I've been run over by a truck." Gelsemium, Eupatorium
"I feel exhausted and dizzy and 1 have to go lie down." Gelsemium
"I need to go wash my hands." Oscillococcinum
"All my joints feel stiff." Rhus toxicodendron
What makes you feel worse?
What makes you feel better?
Are you worse at a particular time?
Are there any mental or emotional changes?
What do you want to eat or drink?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
If the flu is just starting and there are no definite symptoms yet, choose between Oscillococcinum (also called "Flu Solution") and Ferrum Phosphoricum.
· Oscillococcinum is available over the counter in many pharmacies, health food stores, and supermarkets, and is our first choice at this stage unless high fever and red cheeks are prominent symptoms.
· After symptoms have developed, consider Bryonia if all the symptoms are made worse by movement and the person is very irritable and thirsty.
· Think about Gelsemium if the person is dizzy, drowsy, droopy, and dull, feels to- tally exhausted, and is not thirsty.
· Consider Eupatorium if the person feels deep aching in the bones and muscles and feels like his bones are broken. (See material following for specific symptoms).
· Give Rhus toxicodendron when stiffness is the main symptom, and it is made worse by cold damp weather or exertion, and better by stretching or moving around for a while.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give another medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines can stop the flu in the very beginning or shorten its course by days or weeks. The medicines usually act within two to twenty-four hours to produce an improvement.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
· Drink plenty of fluids.
· If it is an upper respiratory flu, follow suggestions for Common Cold, Coughs and Bronchitis, and Fever.
· If it is a gastrointestinal flu, follow suggestions for Acute Diarrhea.