Homeopathy treatment for Gas
Gas is a byproduct of fermentation or rotting of food in the digestive tract by yeast and bacteria. It may be odorless or foul smelling. Fermentation produces carbon dioxide, which has no smell. Bacteria often produce methane and hydrogen sulfide, which do have a foul smell.
Belching, passing gas, and abdominal bloating with rumbling sounds are the most common symptoms of gas.
Gas may be painful if it is trapped in the stomach or intestines. More serious abdominal problems are sometimes mistaken for simple gas pains. If gas doesn't resolve within six to twelve hours, or is very severe or accompanied by fever, nausea, and vomiting, seek medical attention to get a proper diagnosis of the abdominal pain. (See Stomach Aches and Abdominal Pain.)
Does the person appear to be in pain?
What position seems to be the most comfortable?
"I want to have the fan to get air." Carbo vegetabilis
"I have gas after eating too much rich food." Carbo vegetabilis, Nux vomica or Pulsatilla
"When I bend over I feel better." Colocynthis
"I am so full of gas I can't eat another bite." Lycopodium
"I have to get better right away; I can't wait any longer." Nux vomica
"Please hold me and take care of me." Pulsatilla
How long have you had the gas?
Was there any event that seemed to precede the gas?
What did you eat before the gas came on?
Is it painful? If so, where?
Is there any rumbling or other noises in the abdomen?
Does any position make the pain feel better or worse?
What else makes the gas better or worse?
Do you want anything special to eat or drink?
Are there any mental or emotional symptoms with the gas?
Do you feel warm or chilly?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
If bloating is extreme or if the person is exhausted or collapsed and wants to be fanned, give Carbo vegetabilis.
· If the person is doubled over in pain, and doubling over makes him feel better, give Colocynthis.
· When gas. and bloating take away the appetite, and the person lacks confidence and is worse from 4:00 to 8:00 P.M., give Lycopodium.
· If the person is chilly, irritable, and impatient and can't seem to pass the gas without straining, give Nux vomica.
· When the person is weepy, changeable, and clingy, and has eaten too much fat or rich food, give her Pulsatilla.
· Give three pellets of 30C every two to four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return .
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines rapidly relieve gas and bloating within minutes to hours. The gas will pass or disappear.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Charcoal capsules are helpful in relieving gas. Take two capsules every four hours.
· Lying on the back and bringing the knees to the chest may cause gas to pass.
· Squatting helps relieve gas.
· Massaging the abdomen in a clockwise direction helps the lower bowel gas to pass.
· Babies may be burped over the shoulder.
· Treat constipation to relieve chronic gas.
· Eliminate gas-forming foods from the diet, such as beans, potatoes, sweets, and carbonated drinks.
· Follow the principles of food combining for better digestion. Avoid combining proteins and carbohydrates at the same meal, and eat fruit by itself, not as a dessert.