Homeopathy treatment for Hay Fever
Hay fever, or acute allergic rhinitis, is a reaction to pollens from grasses, trees, and flowers. Bouts of hay fever often occur annually when pollens are released, generally in the spring, summer, or fall.
Runny nose with clear watery discharge, sneezing, and itchy eyes, nose, and mouth are the common symptoms. Headache and irritability often ac- company hay fever. People who have it often feel miserable. Many hay fever sufferers also have allergies at other times of the year.
Are the eyes watery? Red?
Is the nose running?
What kind of discharge is there?
"My nose is running like a faucet." Allium cepa
"My palate and nose itch." Arundo, Wyethia
"My eyes are watering intensely." Euphrasia
"I ha ve a cold sore." Natrum muriaticum
Does anything itch?
How much are you sneezing?
How much is your nose running?
Do you have any food desires or aversions?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
The most common medicine for hay fever with watery eyes, watery nasal discharge and sneezing is Allium cepa.
· If there is an irritating discharge from the nose and a bland discharge from the eyes, consider Allium cepa.
· If itching of the nose and palate is the primary symptom, give Arundo or Wyethia.
· When eye symptoms, especially watering, are the most significant symptoms, give Euphrasia.
· When the eye discharge is' irritating but the nasal discharge is bland, give Euphrasia.
· When the discharge is like egg white and the person has cold sores or canker sores, a headache, and perhaps a recent disappointment, rejection, or grief, Natrum muriaticum is the medicine.
· If sneezing is the most prominent symptom, strongly consider Sabadilla.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give another medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; administer only in- frequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Luckily, homeopathy is very effective for hay fever symptoms. It will often keep them under control during the acute phase. Constitutional treatment in the off-season will greatly reduce allergic response during the hay fever season.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Use an air purifier indoors to remove pollens from the air.
· Vacuum your living and work areas more often during hay fever season.
· Bioflavonoid (1000 mg one to two times a day) can be helpful.
· Some people find nettles to be of benefit, either in tea, capsule, or tincture form.
· Sip a glass of one to two Alka-Seltzer Gold tablets dissolved in water.
· Drink one teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water.
· Take 500 mg of buffered Vitamin C every two hours until symptoms pass (up to 3000 mg per day).