Homeopathy treatment for Hives (See also Allergic Reactions and Insect Bites and Stings.)
Hives appear on the skin as part of an allergic reaction to a food or an environmental allergen such as pollen, dust mites, or wool. Hives may also occur due to exercise or from becoming cold.
Hives are red, raised welts that are often quite itchy, hot, and swollen.
In a serious case of acute hives, anaphylaxis (characterized by intense itching, swelling, and difficulty breathing due to constriction of the bronchioles) can be life-threatening and requires emergency medical attention. Hives may become chronic or may occur repeatedly if the allergen that causes the body to react is not eliminated.
What is the appearance of the hives? How many are there? How big?
What color are they?
Where are the hives located?
Is there any significant swelling?
Are there any other visible symptoms?
"I feel like my whole face is swollen." Apis
"Ever since I got the hives, my joints feel really stiff." Rhus toxicodendron
"The hives began right after I ate some prawns." Urtica urens
What seemed to cause the hives?
What is bothering you the most?
Are you in pain?
Are there any other symptoms?
What makes the itching and other symptoms better or worse?
Do you have any difficulty breathing?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
If there is tremendous swelling, give Apis first.
• For hives due to bee stings, give Apis .
• If itching is the main symptom and the person is very restless, give Rhus toxicodendron.
• If the hives sting and there is not significant swelling, consider Urtica urens.
· Give three pellets of 30C twice daily until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines are capable of rapidly relieving hives in a few minutes to a few hours. People with chronic hives should consult a qualified homeopath.
Other Self-Care Suggestions.
For itching: soak in a bathtub of warm water with one cup of baking soda or one cup of raw oatmeal.
• For swelling: ice pack or cold wet com- presses.
• Sip a glass of one to two Alka-Seltzer Gold tablets dissolved in water.
• Drink one teaspoonful of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water.
• Take 500 mg of buffered Vitamin C every two hours until symptoms pass (up to 3000 mg per day).