Homeopathy treatment for Leg Cramps and Growing Pains
Leg cramps are painful spasms of the muscles in the calf or thigh. Growing pains are unpleasant sensations in the muscles, bones, or joints of growing children and adolescents.
Leg cramps or "charley horses" are felt as painful cramps that will not re- lease for seconds to minutes. Growing pains are felt in the tendons, muscles, joints, or long parts of the bones as a deep aching pain. Both conditions can be quite painful.
Cramps and growing pains resolve on their own with time. Neither is serious, but the pain may be considerable.
Is there anything visible about the leg cramps?
Can you observe any position that makes the cramping more comfortable?
"I get cramps in my calves from walking uphill." Calcarea carbonica
"My daughter, Sally, is going through quite a growth spurt and has terrible leg pains." Calcarea phosphorica
"I get excruciating cramps in my legs and my feet." Cuprum
What are the symptoms of the leg cramps or growing pains?
Where do you feel them?
When do they occur?
Is there anything that makes them better or worse?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
For leg cramps and pains in the bones or joints that are worse from exertion and cold damp weather, try Calcarea carbonica.
· Growing pains usually respond to Calcarea phosphorica. If not, consider the rarer medicines, Manganum and Syphilinum in consultation with a homeopath.
· Severe cramps in the legs and other parts of the body in a person who is very prone to cramping may respond to Cuprum, especially if they come on after overwork or sex.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines can stop leg cramps or growing pains immediately or within a few minutes. Growing pains may need to be treated constitutionally for lasting results.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Massage the affected limb toward the heart.
· Apply firm rotary pressure with thumb or forefinger to any tender points in the area until the tenderness decreases by one-half.
· Apply a hot pack or heating pad to the area to help relax the muscles.
· Take a hot bath with a cup of Epsom salts dissolved in the bath water.
· Take Calcium (1500 mg per day) and Magnesium (750 mg per day).
· For severe cramps after working or exercising in the heat, drink lightly salted water or take two salt tablets while you drink fluids to restore sodium and fluid lost through excessive sweating.