Homeopathy treatment for Mumps
Mumps is a contagi.ous viral infection of the parotid gland in the upper Jaw, Just below, and ,In front of the ears and other salivary glands. Mumps usually occurs In children, but can be more serious in adults.
The primary symptoms are moderate to high fever with chills, and painful swelling of the parotid glands and other salivary glands with fatigue and loss of appetite.
In men past puberty, the main complication of mumps is painful inflammation of the testes which can, in rare cases, cause sterility. Meningo- encephalitis, which resembles bacterial meningitis, is characterized by a headache, stiff neck, and, rarely, convulsions or a coma. Pancreatitis with nausea, vomiting, and pain in the abdomen sometimes occurs at the end of the first week of mumps, and gets completely better in about a week.
Does the parotid gland appear swollen in front of the ear?
Is fever present?
Is the person drooling?
"I feel faint. Please turn on the fan." Carbo vegetabilis
"I'm drooling, and I have a bad (metallic) taste In my mouth and bad breath." Mercurius
"Please hold me and take care of me." Pulsatilla
When did the swelling in your parotid gland appear?
Is it painful?
Does anything make you feel better or worse?
Have there been any mental or emotional changes since you got the measles?
Do you want anything in particular to eat or drink?
Do you feel warm or chilly?
Do you have any pain or swelling anywhere else (testes or breasts)?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
Mercurius is the most common medicine used for mumps.
· Phytolacca is used to treat stony hard parotid glands with pain extending to the ear on swallowing.
· Carbo vegetabilis is used for mumps when exhaustion and bloating are prominent symptoms. I
· Pulsatilla and Carbo vegetabilis are both used when mumps causes inflammation of the testes or breasts.
· Pulsatilla is appropriate when the child or adult is weepy and clingy with a lot of swelling in the testes or breasts.
· Less common medicines which help inflammation of the testes during or after mumps are Abrotanum and Jaborandi.
· Abrotanum is used to treat a large swollen parotid gland that goes down as the testes become swollen. It is given to irritable, cruel children with a failure to thrive.
· Jaborandi treats mumps with increased sweating and salivation, and parotid glands double their usual size. This medicine has been used to shorten the duration of the disease.
· Give three pellets of 30e every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every one to two hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines can reduce the swelling and fever, shorten the course of the illness, and prevent or treat complications.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
· Eat soft foods to reduce the need for chewing.
· Avoid spicy and sour foods and drinks, such as citrus fruit and other juices, which may cause pain by stimulating the salivary glands.
· Isolate the person with mumps to avoid spreading the infection to those who have not had it.
· Take Vitamin C, 500 mg two times daily for children four years or older.
· Use a carrot poultice to relieve swelling. Blend two to three carrots, place in a cloth or cheesecloth and apply under chin for two to eight hours.