Homeopathy treatment for Nosebleeds (Epistaxis)
Nosebleeds are simply spontaneous bleeding from the nose. They are caused by infections of the nose and sinuses, dryness and cracking of the nasal mucous membranes, ruptured blood vessels, and trauma. Vigorous nose-blowing or nose-picking can sometimes induce a nosebleed. More serious chronic conditions, such as high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, and bleeding diseases like hemophilia, may be involved.
Blood or blood-tinged mucus either drips or is blown from the nose. Clots may form in the nose. Be careful if you remove these clots, or the nose may begin bleeding again.
Low blood volume and anemia may occur if the nosebleed will not stop. and blood loss is extreme. If a nosebleed will not stop readily with direct pressure and homeopathic medicines, seek medical attention to find the source of the nosebleed.
How much is the nose bleeding?
Is the person conscious?
Is there evidence of any trauma, bruising, or fracture of the nose?
"My little boy, Tommy, just fell off the kitchen table and his nose is bleeding." Arnica
"The nosebleed started suddenly when my right ear started to throb." Belladonna
"Ginny, my five-year-old, has bright red cheeks and her nosebleeds seem to clot very easily. I'm worried because she rends toward anemia." Ferrum phosphoricum
"My nosebleed got better when my period started." Lachesis
"My nose feels really full inside, and there's dark blood coming out." Hamamelis
How much blood have you lost?
What started the nosebleed?
What color blood is coming out?
Is it painful?
Is it stopping?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
For a nosebleed following an injury or trauma, give Arnica.
· For a bloody nose with a bright red face and a high fever, give Belladonna.
· If a child with a nosebleed has very pale cheeks, look at Ferrum phosphoricum.
· If the blood is dark, consider Hamamelis.
· For left-sided nose- bleeds with dark blood in a talkative person, consider Lachesis.
· If the person with the nosebleed asks for cold or carbonated drinks, look at Phosphorus.
· Give three pellets of 30C every ten minutes until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every fifteen to thirty minutes)
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) usually only need to be given once. Repeat infrequently only if the symptoms return and are still severe.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines will help stop a nosebleed within minutes or up to about an hour, depending on the cause. Also use first-aid measures. Chronic recurrent nosebleeds respond well to constitutional treatment.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Apply direct pressure by squeezing the sides of the nose shut with thumb and forefinger for five to ten minutes while breathing through the mouth.
· Put a small piece of ice under the upper lip beneath the nose, or apply pressure to the point just under the nose on the upper lip.
· Apply a cold compress to the nose.