Homeopathy treatment for Poison Ivy or Oak or and Sumac (Contact Dermatitis)
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac cause a contact dermatitis. Some people are highly sensitive to these plants, and some show no sensitivity. Poison ivy (Rhus toxicodendron) and sumac (Rhus aromatica) are more common in the eastern part of the United States, and poison oak (Rhus diversiloba) in the west. The oil of these plants can be spread around the body by touch. It can also cause a severe reaction if the plants are burned and the smoke inhaled.
An extremely itchy, red, blistering rash that causes great discomfort and annoyance, and often takes more than a week to heal. The blisters ooze and crust over before drying up.
These skin rashes are usually self-limiting and cause no long-term effects. The homeopathic proving of poison ivy (Rhus toxicodendron) suggests that arthritis could be a long-term complication if the skin rash is sup- pressed by external applications such as hydrocortisone cream.
What does the skin rash look like?
Is the rash red?
Are there blisters (vesicles)?
Is it oozing or crusting over?
Is it spreading?
"M y poison ivy feels better if I put hot water on it." Anacardium
"My skin feels like stiff leather." Croton tiglium
"I feel stiff, and better if I move around." Rhus toxicodendron
When did you come into contact with poison ivy, oak, or sumac?
How does your skin feel?
Does anything make it feel better or worse?
How does it feel if you scratch it?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine.
Anacardium is often the most effective medicine for poison ivy, oak, and sumac.
· Croton tiglium can be used if the skin feels incredibly itchy and hidebound (thick and hard), and there is gushing diarrhea.
· Rhus toxicodendron is the most available medicine, and will often work.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
Homeopathic medicines can relieve the itching and discomfort and speed the healing process.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Be careful not to spread the rash by scratching it, then scratching an unaffected area.
· Wash the area with mild soap and water and cover with sterile gauze, if needed, to keep it clean.
· Calendula lotion is soothing to the rash and irritated skin.
· Cold wet applications can help the rash feel better, especially cold comfrey root tea.
· Oatmeal bath: Use Aveno (with- out camphor) or place one cup of finely blended dry Oatmeal in the bath to sooth itching.
· If secondary infection from scratching occurs, cleanse with Calendula soap and water and apply Calendula gel or lotion.
· Spray on Grindelia tincture one part to three parts water to relieve itching.