Homeopathy treatment for Sciatica
Sciatica is pain along the distribution of the sciatic nerve in the back of the leg, resulting from inflammation and compression of the nerve at its root near the spine, in the buttocks, or in the pelvis. The nerve compression in the spine often comes from a herniated intervertebral disk.
Pain begins in the back or pelvis and radiates down the leg partially or all the way to the foot. The pain may be quite severe and accompanied by numbness and tingling. It is usually worse when sneezing, coughing, or holding the breath and bearing down.
The disk problem can get worse if lifting and straining are not done properly, increasing the sciatic pain sometimes to the point of incapacitation.
Are there any visible indications of the sciatica?
Is the person moving in any way different from normal?
"My leg is twitching, and I have pain down the back of my leg." Agaricus
"I got so mad when he insulted me that my back and leg started hurting." Colocynthis
"My right leg hurts, but it's also numb." Gnaphthalium
"It started after I fell on my tailbone." Hypericum
"It wakes me up in the wee hours of the morning." Kali iodatum
"All my symptoms are on the left side except the pain in my leg." Lachesis
"It hurts when I first get up, but I've got to move around and stretch." Rhus toxicodendron
"It hurts when I cough or sneeze-Can you treat ringworm too?" Tellurium
What caused the pain?
Where do you feel it?
Describe the pain.
Does it remain localized or does it travel anywhere else?
What makes the pain better or worse?
Are there any other symptoms?
Is there numbness? Tingling? Weakness of the limbs?
Did any other physical symptoms begin along with the sciatica?
Have there been any changes in your mental and emotional state since the sciatica began?
Pointers to Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
If there are lots of twitching and spasms in a person who seems intoxicated, think of Agaricus.
· If the sciatica comes on after anger or being offended, give Colocynthis.
· If the sciatica is on the right side and has pain along with numbness, give Gnaphthalium.
· If the sciatica is from an injury to the spine, Hypericum is probably the right medicine.
· If the per- son wakes in the early morning (2:00 to 5:00 A.M.) with the sciatica, give Kali iodatum.
· If other symptoms are left-sided, but the sciatica is right- sided, think of Lachesis.
· If the symptoms are worse from sitting and better from moving around, consider Rhus toxicodendron.
· If a herniated disk is definitely involved, consider Tellurium, especially if the person also has ringworm.
· Give three pellets of 30C every four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return,
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; give only infrequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Treatment
Homeopathic medicines can substantially reduce or eliminate the pain and inflammation of acute sciatica in a day or two, or sooner. If pain persists, consult a qualified homeopath for constitutional treatment.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Apply moist heat to the low back and buttocks.
· Take a hot bath with one cup of Epsom salts added. Whirlpool baths or hot tubs are also good.
· Rest in bed in a comfortable position.
· The Bowen Therapeutic Technique, an Australian bodywork practice, is very useful for treating sciatica.
· Acupuncture, chiropractic, osteopathy, physical therapy, or massage may be helpful if homeopathy is not producing immediate results.
· Take Calcium (1500 mg) and Magnesium (750 mg) daily to reduce muscle spasms.
· Arnica gel or oil or Traumeel ointment is very helpful when applied locally to the area. (If you are under constitutional treatment, consult your homeopath before using Traumeel, as it is a combination homeopathic medicine.)
· Back strengthening exercises and proper lifting techniques are useful to prevent future episodes of sciatica.
· Being over- weight contributes to sciatica. Consider losing some weight.