Homeopathy treatment for Sore Throats (Pharyngitis)
Pharyngitis is an inflammation of the pharynx or throat which is usually associated with a virus or, as in the case of a strep throat, a bacteria.
The most distressing symptom is usually a mild to severe pain in the throat, which may extend to the ears. There may be a simultaneous upperrespiratory infection, bronchitis, or flu.
An untreated Group A Beta-hemolytic strep infection may lead to rheumatic fever or joint problems.
Look at the throat. Is there discoloration?
Is there any discoloration or swelling of the tonsils?
Are there any pus-filled blisters on the throat or tonsils?
Are there any other visible symptoms of throat pain?
"The pain came on suddenly after I played outside in the cold." Aconite
"My throat feels very swollen, especially on the right side. The only thing that helps is drinking cold water." Apis
"My throat is extremely sore on the right side and feels hot and dry." Belladonna
"I have blisters with pus on my tonsils. I've never felt so much pain in my whole life." Hepar sulphuris
"The pain is on the left side of my throat and it's so bad that I can hardly stand to swallow my saliva." Lachesis
"My sore throat started on the right and went to the left. The only thing I want is hot tea." Lycopodium
"My breath is bad, my tongue is coated, and I have a metallic taste in my mouth." Mercurius
"My neck glands are swollen. I have a sore throat on the right side that makes my right ear hurt when I swallow." Phytolacca
When did the throat pain begin?
What seemed to bring it on?
What does it feel like?
Where does your throat hurt?
Describe the pain in detail.
What makes the pain better or worse?
Is it affected by swallowing? Warm or cold drinks?
Are there any other symptoms?
If so, what makes the symptom feel better or worse?
Are there any mental or emotional changes with the sore throat?
Are you craving anything to eat or drink?
Pointers for Finding the Homeopathic Medicine
For throat pain of very rapid onset with a high fever, give Aconite or Bella- donna.
· If it feels better from cold drinks, first look at Apis.
· If the main symptom is swelling, give Apis or Phytolacca.
· For very red sore throats, the best medicines are Belladonna and Apis.
· For a burning, right-sided sore throat in a person with a bright red face and ear pain, give Belladonna.
· For right-sided sore throats, think of Belladonna, Apis, Lycopodium, Phytolacca, and Mercurius iodatus flavus.
· The medicines to give for sore throats that have the most pain on swallowing are Lachesis, Hepar sulphuris, Belladonna, and Mercurius.
· For left-sided sore throats, consider Lachesis first, then, more rarely, Mercurius iodatus ruber.
· The first medicine to consider for sore throats that start on the left then move to the right is Lachesis.
· For sore throats that begin on the right then go to the left, look at Lycopodium.
· If the sore throat feels better from warm drinks, think first of Lycopodium.
· Give three pellets of 30C every two to four hours until you see improvement.
· If there is no improvement after three doses, give a different medicine.
· After you first notice improvement, give another dose only if symptoms begin to return.
· Lower potencies (6X, 6C, 30X) may need to be given more often (every two to four hours).
· Higher potencies (200X, 200C, 1M) generally need to be given only once. Repeat only if symptoms return with intensity; administer only in-frequently in this case.
What to Expect from Homeopathic Self-Care
The pain and discomfort of s sore throat are usually relieve within one to twenty-four hours.
Other Self-Care Suggestions
Gargle with warm salt water three times a day.
· Gargle with one teaspoon of Calendula tincture in one cup of warm water.
· Suck on zinc lozenges. (Avoid any lozenges with menthol, camphor, or eucalyptus, since they interfere with homeopathic treatment.)
· Take Vitamin C (3000 mg a day) in divided doses of 500 mg. Cut the dose in half for a child and give a maximum of 250 mg to a baby.
· Take Echinacea and goldenseal tincture in water (one-half teaspoon every two hours, up to six doses a day).
· Avoid dairy products and sweets.
· Drink one to two glasses of fresh carrot juice per day.