Pretzel Shaped Sweet
2 cups plain flour (maida)
1 ½ cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup warm water
3 tbsp hot ghee
1/2 kg sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp saffron (powdered)
Ghee for frying
3-4 tbsp almonds and pistachios, sliced
A few rose petals
1. Soak flour in yogurt, warm water and three tablespoons of hot ghee. Beat this mixturevigorously so that it becomes lump free. Cover and keep this vessel in a warm place. If the weather is cold you need to do this two nights before.
2. Make one string syrup from sugar using just enough water. Add cardamom and saffron powder to it and keep it warm on a slow fire. When you want to serve, heat ghee for frying in a broad vessel. Beat the jalebi mixture to a dropping consistency.
3. Fill a cylindrical bottle with a small spout with this mixture. Form spiral shaped rounds over hot ghee not too close to each other.
4. Turn them over from time to time with a pair of tongs. When they are golden, remove and soak in the hot syrup.
5. Let the jalebis soak for five to seven minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with almonds, pistachios and rose petals and serve at once.