5 cups freshly grated coconut
1/2 cup fresh cream from the top of the milk
1 tbsp ghee
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup condensed milk
1/2 tsp saffron powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp pistachios, chopped into pieces
1. In a large vessel, mix together coconut and cream and set aside for half an hour. Apply ghee to a deep 14-inch wide stainless steel or a silver plate and set aside. Heat a large thick-bottomed vessel (kadai), add the soaked coconut and dry roast it for 8-10 minutes.
2. When the coconut looks a little dry, add sugar and condensed milk and mix well. Cook on medium heat for fifteen to twenty minutes. Check with your finger to see if it has formed a thick syrup of one strand and then remove from heat.
3. Add powdered saffron mixed with a little milk and cardamom powder. Mix well, pour this into the prepared stainless steel plate and smoothen the surface with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle pistachio pieces on the top.
4. Let it cool completely. Cut into one inch by one inch squares or diamonds. Remove with a flat spoon onto a serving plate.
5. Garnish with rose petals.
Makes approx. 34 pieces