Biochemists know that a mineral in raw element form always
inhibits the enzyme using that mineral. Copper from the meat and
vegetables you eat is essential. Inorganic copper, like you would
get from a copper bottomed kettle or copper plumbing, is
carcinogenic3. Unfortunately, the inorganic form of metals is what
pervades our environment. We put metal jewelry on our skin, eat
bread baked in metal pans, and drink water from metal plumbing.
Another obvious metallic threat is tooth fillings. Mercury
amalgam fillings, despite the assurances of the American Dental
Association, are not safe. And sometimes the mercury is polluted
with thallium, even more toxic than mercury! Gold and silver
seem to have fewer harmful effects, but no one should have any
pure metal in or on their body.
Other prevalent toxic metals include lead and cadmium from
soldered and galvanized plumbing, nickel and chromium from
dentalware and cosmetics, and aluminum from food and drink
cans, and cooking pots.
3Haleem J. lssaq, The Role of Metals in Tumor Development and
inhibition. From Carcinogenicity and Metal Ions, volume 10, page 61,
of a series called Metal Ions in Biological Systems, edited by Helmut Sigel, 1980.