Stuffed Mixed Vegetable
250 gm small sized potatoes, peeled
250 gm small onions, peeled
250 gm small brinjals
100 gm tendli
2 Rajiyani bananas
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup gram flour, roasted and mixed with 2 tbsp of oil
3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tbsp ginger-chilli paste
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 green chillies, slit
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
6 tbsp oil
A few curry leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Make a vertical slit on one side of the potatoes and onions and soak in water. Stem the brinjals and slit. Cut both ends of the tendli and slit vertically. Cut the bananas into two inch pieces and vertically slit them.
2. Add grated coconut, coriander leaves, coriander-cumin seed powder and ginger-chilli paste and grated coconut to the gram flour and mix well. Stuff the mixture into the slit vegetables. Set the extra stuffing aside.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add chillies, mustard and fenugreek seed. When they splutter, add curry leaves and asafoetida. Add all the vegetables except for the banana, and stir very gently.
4. Cover with a deep plate and sprinkle some water on it. This will help the vegetables to cook on medium heat, and prevent the vegetables from burning.
5. After twenty minutes when they are half-cooked, remove the lid.
6. Add the banana and the remaining stuffing. Continue cooking on medium flame till the vegetables are tender. Take it off the flame, cover and set aside.
7. Turn the vegetables out on a deep serving platter and serve hot with roti.